USB eToken is a security device (looks similar to pen drive) which securely stores your Digital Signature Certificate. However, e-TOKEN IS NOT A PEN-DRIVE!! It contains a smart-card chip that attaches in the USB Port.
Benefits of using eToken:
- Identifies the Certifying Authority issuing it.
- Security: Once a DSC is imported into an e-Token, it is impossible to fetch it out or copy it even if you have complete control of the token.
- Mobility: e-Token ensures that the DSC can be used in multiple computers without compromising security; a person is not stuck up with a single computer.
- Safety: e-Token cannot be infected by viruses and hence will be safe until its validity.
- Is valid for either one year or two years.
On the contrary, the use of DSC without the eToken / Smart Card, will compromise security because it requires you to install and copy your DSC in a computer. This is NOT recommended or safe method of use, if you are in a public environment i.e. using a Cyber Cafe / other person's computer / other people have access to your computer. A copy of the DSC will be stored in that computer unless you delete it after every use from that computer.